Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Random Rant

You must have heard of how the universities in USA prefer students who have some sort of experience of having worked at NGO's and organisations for charity..and dude, does this get prominence or what?

So, basically I have no such experience.

But in my defence, I am an honest citizen, a responsible earth-ling, and a generous person at heart. But I do not have any formal experience in helping mankind or anything.

But you know, I am annoyed. I may not have the proof of my benevolence on paper.. but I can tell you this. I never litter. I never waste electricity or water. I donate every opportunity I get. I respect the cultural forms of my country. I buy local as much as I can. Hell, I made authentic Indian wear stylish for many in my ahem, circle.

But in spite of all this, I do not count myself as having done anything worthwhile.. because I do not have it on paper. You may call me a lazy ass who is blinded by the cathartic feeling that doing these tiny acts gives me. But what I can do? What could I have done?

I have an impeccable academic record. Good work experience. But somewhere I know that I fall short. All through these years I felt that doing well at my studies, getting a kick-ass job was all that I needed to do. I prided myself at being smart, efficient.. and then I travelled the length of the city to return home, all exhausted, pretending to be so tired because of the messy, annoying commute in Mumbai.. that i never found any time to do anything else.

Tomorrow.

I told myself everyday. Driving, swimming, doing something for the environment, for the street kids... Tomorrow. I am way exhausted today.

But since a year I have gotten down to doing all the things that I thought I must do. I quit my job last May and took off for a holiday to London.. returned and settled for the not-so-fun, but not-as-time-consuming-either job of assisting my father in his work.

Ever since, I have achieved a little. I got my driving license. I lost a healthy amount of weight. I built a kick-ass vocab (mainly thanks to GRE-prep). I started this blog. I took my other blog seriously. All in all, a worthwhile year.

But it still nags me that I have done nothing, you know, NOT-FOR-MYSELF. I get these spurts of 'lets do something' and I write to NGO's and all that and then Bam! when nobody replies I get disheartened and get back to leading my boring life.

Argh! I wish.. I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment