Friday, March 12, 2010

Parents are funny creatures..



Me: (all misty eyed) Mom, I got through one of the best colleges I applied to..
Mom: Have you told dad?
Me: Not yet.. (simultaneously dialing his number)
Dad: (all sleepy) Hello?
Me: Dad, I got through the best university EVER.
Dad: Thik hai (loosely translated to..Oh, okay)
Me: (confused and dejected).. this means I'll leave for sure Dad.. I didn't know all this while if I would get in.. I'm so relieved..
Dad: Oh, Thik hai (... again)
Me: Okay, bye.. (seriously angry by now)..
(Turning to mom) Mom, this is the toughest university to get into.. Can you imagine only 8 got through?
Mom: (all misty eyed by now).. hmm
Me: (going all aww.. she loves me soo much)
Mom: I'm just scared for you, you know..
Me: (thinking of the best way to put across the fact that I can take care of myself)
Mom: I mean, so are so stuck up already.. You know, all don't touch me if you haven't showered today..you are such a fussy eater.. and quite anti-social.. I wonder what you will be like when you return after your degree..after having lived alone, by your own terms for 2 years...
Me: (storming out) ARGH!!!!
(slamming door)

No comments:

Post a Comment